Sunday, August 22, 2010

Our First School Shopping Adventure (AKA: Make Mommy & Daddy Broke Adventure)

My Mother-In-Law and I took Isis school shopping today. I went into it with a plan and a budget. I gave myself $200 and we needed:
  • (5) Shirts
  • (5) Pants
  • (10) underwear
  • sneakers
  • socks
  • back pack
  • lunch pail
We were originally going to go downstate by about 70 miles. There is a far better selection of stores there. However, when we woke up this morning it was 60 degrees and pouring rain. I just could not bring myself to get the girls in and out of the car for Target, Old Navy and Kohl's while trying to dodge the rain.

So instead we shopped locally, at our nearest mall (which is a huge joke to even call it a mall, they lose stores so quickly). They have a JCPenny, Sears, Bon-Ton and a Shoe Department. I figured for a Pre-K we'd be set with those.

We started in JCPenny's. I found three shirts, two pairs of pants and two packages of underwear. I was on a roll! I thought I had picked out several good deals. Then we got to the register: Woo boy! $83 worth of Woo boy! I was stunned. Both my Mother-In-Law and I reviewed the receipt several times to verify it was correct, and it was.

How can that be possible for a 4-year old?!

I was starting to think maybe, I just needed to turn right around and drive to Walmart. With their square shaped pants and all. I mean really what's a little 'baggy ass syndrome' in a 4-year old right? She wasn't going to care.

But instead, I trudged on to Bon-Ton where I expected to be further depleted of my hard earned money. But, we were pleasantly surprised! We found jeans that were significantly cheaper. Cheap enough to return the two pairs we had bought at JCPenny, promptly.

We came out of there with two shirts and 5 pairs of pants for $78. Much better. Phew.

In the shoe store we came upon a new surprise. Isis has moved on to a size 11 shoe. This elusive size is no longer welcomed in the toddler shoes, but not quite cool enough for the big kid section either, apparently. There was nary a pair of cool Dora, Strawberry Shortcake or light up shoes to be found in a size 11.

We were forced to move on to the boring (to a 4-year old) Nike's, Puma's, Sketchers, etc. I must have shot down 10 pairs before we found one under $30. I mean really, I found a pair of clogs I loved for $20. How could they possibly be more material then my size 9 wide!

We ended up settling on a pair of white Converse for Isis, a cute pair of off brand boys shoes for Rory (because really, for 16 month old girls there is nothing but blazing pink) and a Dora back pack/lunch pail combo. All & All it was $64 total.

So, my total cost (after returning the jeans to JCPenny's, and deducting Rory's shoes) was $177. If you add the cost of lunch ($15) then we are dangerously close to what I personally thought was a generous budget!

What am I going to do when I have two girls in highschool! We are so going to go broke.

No comments: